Life's Hurdles


If i were to diagram my spiritual life, it would look something like this: A continual series of ups and downs, through all of my life, moving in a slow upward direction, although some of the lows would seem lower than before and some of the highs would seem higher than before.


When i picture this graph, it is not encouraging at first, because the longer i live, the further away the end of the graph appears. It is very much like the elusive end of the rainbow — the closer i get, the further away it seems.


And yet there is something you cannot see on a one-dimensional diagram, something you cannot express with lines and words. There is a hidden excitement that begins to surface, a tingling of the soul that quickens my consciousness as i gaze at this trail of God in my life. I suddenly realise a great truth-the up-and-down syndrome of my life is the fingerprint of God on my soul! It is the remains of my struggle of faith, the ups and downs of my ongoing dialogue with the God. It is the way growth looks.

I am beginning to realise that the spiritual life is not so much progress as it is process.It is not a continuous climb upwards as much as it is a continuous climb. It is not the victories that matter so much as the going on after the defeats. The longer the erratic dance of faith goes on, the less you care about what God is doing, and the more you want to know about God. Spirituality is, after all, about intimacy with God.

Being stuck is a great moment. It may be characterised by frustration, loneliness, or detachment, but those things are only the vocabulary of our souls telling us we are in danger. It is the cry of our souls craving for more. It is our longings and yearnings trying to get our attention. It is a summons, a call from within. It is the glorious music of dissatisfaction with where we are now. It is the anguish of our interior life pleading with us not to give up, but to give in.


It is the Holy Spirit stopping us dead in our tracks so we can read the words that God has written on our hearts - surrender. Embrace your anguish, respond to your summons from God. Get ready for the adventure of growing.


Wish I could give words to my thoughs like Mike Yaconelli In Times Of India

Comments

Popular Posts